When you place a new tenant in your Antioch, CA rental property, they’re going to expect it to be spotless on move-in day. After all, no one wants to move into a rental that looks lived in and dirty. And since these tenants pay rent and generate your profit, you owe them a sparkling clean house upon move-in.
Additionally, have you ever thought about what your property should look like before listing it?
When your rental is vacant, showing your property to interested tenants is the key to placing a tenant. Remember, no prospective tenant will lease your rental if the property is full of grime during a showing.
So, why not make it easy on yourself by following these tips for cleaning your rental property before listing it. That way, no matter who sees your property, it’s as clean as can be and leaves a lasting impression.
Expert Tips for Cleaning Your Antioch, CA Rental Before Listing It
If you’re anything like us, checklists work best. They ensure you don’t miss a thing and that you do a thorough job.
So check out this cleaning checklist, broken down into rooms, so your rental is spic-and-span come listing day.
The exterior of your rental property is the first thing people see when they arrive for a showing or move-in day. Because of this, it’s important you clean up both the front and backyards to maintain your property’s curb appeal.
Here are some of the things you should focus on during exterior cleanup:
- Trim all trees, hedges, and bushes and get rid of the weeds
- Sweep walkways, driveways, porches, and decking
- Mow the lawn and take all the landscaping trash out
- Clear the rain gutters and make sure they’re not broken
- Check the light fixtures and replace any bulbs that are missing or are burnt out
- Wipe down the patio furniture
- Clean the pool decking and any related accessories
- Clean the windows and doors
Lastly, you should peek inside the garage. Many property owners and tenants neglect the garage. This is especially true if your tenant isn’t parking their vehicle in it each day. But the truth is, your tenants are going to want a realistic view of the garage. And cleaning it is the best way to give them what they want.
So, turn the tables and show your tenants you care by doing the following:
- Fix any broken shelving and make sure what is there is clean
- Have the garbage cans professionally scrubbed so they look and smell better
- Clean the walls and flooring
- Organize any landscaping tools or paint cans that may be there for the tenant to use
When your Antioch rental house management company lists your property, you have to make sure the exterior looks its best.
Your tenants are likely to spend a lot of their time in the kitchen. For example, they will cook, eat, and host family and friends in this common area.
Unfortunately, kitchens have the potential to be one of the dirtiest places in a house. This is especially true if your last tenants didn’t do a good job cleaning up after themselves when they left.
To make sure you catch everything, follow this quick list of kitchen items to detail:
- Cupboards and drawers
- Refrigerator (inside and out)
- Window sills and ledges
Also, don’t forget to look down and see what’s happening on the floor of the kitchen. Since kitchens usually have durable flooring that is water and stain-resistant, people tend to forget they need TLC too. Give the floors a good scrub and make sure they aren’t any cracks or tears (depending on the floor type).
One room you can expect tenants to look closely at is the bathroom.
Here’s a list of expert Antioch rental house management tips for impressing tenants that are viewing your rental or are about to move in:
- Don’t skimp on the toilet bowl cleaner and let it sit before you scrub
- Use a mixture of baking soda and white vinegar to ensure sparkling counters, sink, and hardware
- Replace the burnt out light bulbs
- Dust off ledges and window sills
- Sweep and mop the floors
- Clean the insides and outsides of all drawers and cabinets
- Wash the light switches, walls, doorknobs, and baseboards
In addition, invest in a heavy-duty shower cleaner that will wipe all the sediment off the walls, tub, and shower door.
Lastly, always be on the lookout for signs of mold. As a landlord, you’re obligated to provide a safe and habitable house for tenants that free of mold. Not to mention, no one in their right mind would openly lease a property that has moldy bathrooms (or moldy anything for that matter).
4. Bedrooms, Living Room, and Dining Room
Though each of these rooms has very different uses, there’s no denying they have similar features. That’s why we’re recommending the same set of cleaning tips for all of them.
To start, check for personal belongings your previous tenants may have left behind. If a prospective tenant comes to view your property and someone else’s closet items are still hanging around, chances are slim they’re going to jump at the chance to lease from you.
In addition, take the time to dust the window sills, ledges, corners, and ceiling fans for dirt and cobwebs.
And if you notice that there are markings on the walls, check out these helpful tips:
- Marker or crayon comes off easily using a Magic Eraser (spot check to make sure it doesn’t rub off any paint in the process)
- Pencil is removed using a simple dish soap and water mixture
- Ink markings are tougher to remove, but can be using an alcohol-based solvent such as running alcohol or hairspray (which contains alcohol)
Making sure the bedroom, living, and dining rooms are as clean and inviting as possible is one of the best ways to ensure you catch and keep a prospective tenant’s interest.
Knowing how to clean your rental property before listing it will save you time in the long run. Plus, it’ll help you attract a high-quality tenant pool that wants to lease from you.
But more than that, having an Antioch rental house management company by your side to help you with things beyond cleaning your property will help you maximize your ROI and secure long-term tenants.
If you’re in need of a reliable property management company to take the load off your hands and manage the day-to-day operations of your rental property, contact us at Blue Line Property Management.
We’re a full-service property management company that can not only land you a tenant in 29 days or less, but we can also maintain a hands-on approach to property management so both you and your tenants are satisfied. And if you find yourself in need of some deep cleaning tips, trust us, we’ve seen it all and can help you make your rental property look brand new.