The roof on your Antioch investment property keeps your rental looking nice and your property value up. Plus, it keeps your tenants safe from the elements. In fact, it’s your legal responsibility to make sure your tenants have a habitable place to live. In other words, your roof needs to be in tip-top condition at all times.
If you’ve ever had to make roof repairs on your rental property, you know that it can become pricey very quickly. So expensive in fact, that the national average roof repair costs $949 depending on the type of repair. When you start factoring in the cost of the contractor to perform the repairs, you’ll find that your bottom line disappears sooner than later.
Fixing your rental property’s roof is not something you can avoid. And while there are many common do-it-yourself rental repairs out there, roof repairs are not one of them. However, if you check out this beginner’s guide to roof damage and repair, you’ll see that with a little know-how the cost and hassle of fixing your roof might not be as steep as you originally thought.
What Causes Roof Damage?
The first thing you’ll need to know when it comes to rental property repairs in Antioch is what causes roof damage. Once you know what has caused the problem, fixing it becomes a lot easier.
- Flashing Issues: The flashing of a roof is the material that helps keep water out. As the flashing gets worn out over time, it allows water to seep in. When this happens, your roof starts to leak.
- Wind Damage: Wind has the potential to cause a lot of roof damage. For example, a large tree might blow right into your rental’s roof and damage it. In addition, the nails that hold your roof down may begin to loosen and fall off when exposed to a lot of wind. If this happens, parts of your roof will fall off with them.
- Extreme Weather: In addition to the wind, your roof is also vulnerable to weather such as rain, hail, and snow. Major damage can occur when your rental’s roof is exposed to the weight of these weather conditions.
- Lack of Maintenance: As a landlord, it’s your responsibility to identify minor repairs and maintain the roof to prevent costly damage later on. If you don’t routinely inspect your property’s roof, you could find yourself facing major Antioch, CA rental property repairs.
Categories of Roof Repairs in Antioch, CA
If your rental property’s roof has damage, it will fall into one of two repair categories:
- Essential Repairs: These repairs require immediate attention and must be fixed right away. They likely affect your tenant’s ability to live in the property. Plus, they are probably causing a lot of additional damage to your rental the longer they go unresolved.
- Cosmetic Repairs: When your property’s roof damage does not cause it to become inhabitable, it is considered a cosmetic repair. Sure, you and every other landlord want their properties to look perfect. However, superficial roof damage does not require immediate attention and can be taken care of when the time is right for you and your tenants.
When you receive notice that your rental property has roof damage, it’s important to figure out whether the repairs are needed as soon as possible or not. Doing this will help you plan your next steps.
Roof Repair vs Roof Replacement: Which One is Right for Me?
Another thing to figure out before you begin Antioch rental property repairs is whether your property’s roof needs a repair or needs replacing.
It can be tough to know whether to make a small fix or replace a section – or all – of your property’s roof. That said, there are some general guidelines to follow.
To start, take note of the extent of the damage. If your roof is severely damaged and will require a lot of repairs to fix, it might make financial sense to replace the roof altogether. Doing this will cost you more upfront. However, replacing an extremely damaged roof with a brand new one will save you from having to make more repairs in the future. Plus, the cost of repairing severe damage may be nearly the same as a roof replacement. So, do the math and see which option is best for you in terms of cost.
It’s also worth seeing how old the roof is. If your property’s roof is over 20 years old, it’s a good idea to consider replacing it entirely. As roofs get older, they become more vulnerable to damage. In other words, an old roof will begin to require many repairs. These costs will add up over time and continue happening. Just make sure to speak with a professional roofing contractor. They will know best how to approach fixing your roof.
Not sure who to use when it comes to major repairs on your rental property? Then consider hiring a local Antioch property management company to help. Equipped with a reliable Rolodex of contractors, a good property management company like Blueline will be able to get your roof repaired quickly and for an affordable price.
How to Handle Antioch, CA Rental Property Roof Repairs
There are several things you should do to make sure your property’s roof repairs are handled properly.
1. Have Your Property Inspected
The first thing you or your property manager should do is inspect the property for damage. This is best done with the help of a roofing contractor.
Here are the things to look for during the inspection:
- Breaks or cracks
- Gaps in the vents or skylights
- Worn down surfaces
- Missing or loosened materials
- Buckling, denting, blistering, or curling of materials
- Leaks, drips, or moisture on the exterior and interior of your property
This, paired with knowing the cause of the damage, will help you and your contractor devise a good plan of action in terms of repairs or replacement. This will include how to repair the roof and how much it will cost you.
Something else to consider at this point is the roofing materials you’ll need to purchase for the repairs. Some of the most common roofing materials needed to make repairs include shingles, metal, vinyl, and slate. If you want to take an eco-friendlier approach, there are also materials like solar shingles that can be added to your rental’s roof.
2. Contact Your Insurance
As a landlord, you should have homeowner’s insurance on your rental property. This insurance is in place to cover damage to your rental. Of course, the amount of coverage will depend on your insurance policy and terms.
If you have tenants in your rental property when the roof is damaged, your insurance may be able to cover the cost of temporary housing for them if the property is inhabitable. If not, you will be responsible for housing them until your property is livable again.
This is just one reason why having an emergency fund is crucial if you want to be a successful landlord. You will not be collecting rent again until your tenants are able to move back into your property. Preparing for emergencies like roof repairs will ensure you don’t go under financially.
3. Contact Your Tenants
If your rental’s roof needs to be repaired or replaced, you’ll need to notify your tenants. Remember, if your homeowner’s insurance covers temporary housing for your tenants, they’ll handle this part for you. However, reaching out to them and letting them know what’s going on is never a bad idea. It will seem much more personal this way.
If your insurance doesn’t cover housing, and your tenants need to leave, you’ll need to set this up for them. The longer your tenants are out of your rental and not paying rent, the more money you lose. So, make sure to have everything in place as soon as possible for the repairs so there is very little disruption to your cash flow and your tenant’s living situation.
Factors Affecting the Cost of Roof Repairs
As with everything in life, there are many factors that will affect how much your rental property roof repairs in Antioch will cost.
Here are some factors to think about as you begin the process of making roof repairs:
- Whether you want to make repairs or replace the roof
- What kinds of materials you’ll need to make the repairs
- The type of damage on the roof and surrounding area
- Whether you need roofing repair permits
- The type of roof you have – flat, high or low pitched, metal, shingle, or sloped
- If there are any unique elements like skylights or chimneys
- The size of the repair (usually figured in terms of square footage)
Lastly, you’ll want to make sure you use a high-quality and affordable roofing contractor to make the repairs – no matter how minor.
Are you in need of a reliable property management company in Antioch, CA? Then contact us today and see how we can aid you when your rental needs roof repairs.
At Blueline Property Management, we know what a pain rental property maintenance and repairs can be. This is especially true when the repairs are serious, as they often are when it comes to roof damage and start to dig into your annual profits.
When it comes to managing your rental property, we know all the best licensed contractors in town that can help with any type of repairs your property needs. Striving to save you time and money, our property managers can get your property back into perfect condition, your tenants back into your rental, and the rent back into your hands. Not to mention, we can handle things like tenant screening, rent collection, and property inspections so you can enjoy your investment without having to deal with any of the hard work that comes with being a landlord.